10 November 2011

New York Baby!

When I was 10  years old, my mom took me to San Francisco.... great trip, great memories!  Therefore, when Lulu turned 10 years old, I told her that I would take her on a "mom & girl" trip. I debated between a few places, but in the end NYC won! I didn't tell her where we were going, or when for that matter! In fact, I got us both packed while she was at school, and when she got home I sprung the news on her! She was beside herself with excitement to say the least. Here are a few pictures from our trip... I can honestly say that it was my favorite trip to NYC ever. We went non-stop. We saw the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial, went to a Broadway show, ate at the famous "Serendippity 3", went to the American Girl store, Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca.. just to name a few. Oh, and ate our way through the city... Delightful! She was the BEST traveling partner ever! Great memories with my girlie!

New York! We went to a Broadway play while we were there... JERSEY BOYS... Excellent!
In the many times that we have visited this beautiful city, we have neglected the Statue of Liberty. Not sure why.... but we did it this time baby! It was pretty neat. I was surprised how much we enjoyed it. We were reminded of the incredible history that New York has to offer. 
The 9/11 Memorial was opened up just a few short weeks before we got there. I was so grateful that we were able to see this. The air is filled with such somberness.   While first walking into the memorial, I felt excited. It was an interesting feeling because memorials are usually somber and beautiful, not fun and adventurous. That feeling was probably due to the fact that it was my first memorial visited in which I was "alive" when the tragedy happened. Others I have been to, seemed so distant to me... so long ago and kind of "another time" type of a feeling.   Nevertheless, as we went inside, I found that I felt guilty. I almost felt as if I was intruding on someonelse's private or personal property.  When we entered the building, we immediately began speaking in whisper. I felt a powerful sense of anguish and pain... for those who perished, their families & all of those affected...  I remember watching the news when this terrible tragedy struck. Tom had just gone to work, Isabel (8 months old) was sleeping. I was looking forward to enjoying some quiet time by myself. But when I saw what was happening, the last thing I wanted was to be by myself. I called my parents & Tom, both of which had not heard the news yet. After talking with them, I snuck into Isabel's room and got her out of bed and held her while I watched the 2nd tower come down... such tragedy and sadness. That was a day that I will never forget.  May none of us ever forget.


Greenwich Village. I want to live there. 'Nuf said.
These pictures make me laugh... (and no, I'm not referring to my wrinkly neck!) We had the craziest taxi ride to the airport! It was so stereotypical.... Seriously, we were holding on tight! (Obviously it wan't bad enough for me not to be able to pull out the camera though!) All in the name of the picture!